Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Starts with W

Next up: Wales!

This trip has been in the works for a while (on my timescale of travel planning, that is; not necessarily "a while" on a German scale) and it's been largely organized by Kat, the same friend who instigated our fabulous hiking trips in Scotland and then last year to England, so it's pretty much guaranteed to be awesome. And rainy, and stunningly beautiful. (That being the norm for my experience of British countryside.)

Tomorrow all six of us meet up in Manchester, then drive over to Wales, where we have a rental cottage in the village of Llandrillo. (Trip goal: Learn how to pronounce this and similar place names. Hint: It's not pronounced like it looks.)

Hopefully a bunch of hiking and national-park-going will ensue; then at the end of the long Easter weekend most of the others leave, but I'm going to stay on and work from there for a couple days. (The world is still my office!)

At the end of the week, I'll head on alone to Angelsey (the northwest tip of Wales) for a couple extra days (youth hostel near the coast!) then fly back from Liverpool, a city that already feels like a bit of an old friend, after I bookended last year's hiking trip in England with two short stays there.

Wales!

Now, who wants to learn Welsh with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment