Friday, November 16, 2012

French Interlude


Hi from the U.S.! Once again. (East Coast this time.)

My flight to New York was through Paris, where the very first thing when we got into the terminal building from the tarmac was an up-going escalator, which of course wasn't working. The guy in front of me sighed and muttered, "la France!"

And I had to chuckle, remembering trekking all across Gare du Nord station in Paris just a couple weeks ago on the way back from Normandy, with my friends Naomi and Sylvia, trying to find the (well-hidden) luggage lockers, with every escalator in the place not working. France, indeed.

Then, I'd been in France barely half an hour before I received a marriage proposal. Again, why am I somehow entirely not surprised? Here's how it went:

Passport control guy: "Bonsoir."

Me: "Bonsoir."

"Parlez-vous français?"

"Not really...English?"

"You are beautiful."

(not catching it at first, because of his accent) "...?"

"You are beautiful."

"Thank you."

(flipping through my passport, noting my birthdate) "Twenty-nine?"

"Yes."

(pointing to himself) "Same!" (then) "You want me? Husband?"

"...Thank you...no..."

"Yes? Okay!"

And then he smiled, wished me a nice flight, and waved me through.


The hour and a half layover was just right for getting through border control and security without having to worry or rush, but unfortunately it didn't leave much time for piano-playing.

Piano?

Yes, piano.

I'd just settled down in a mostly empty waiting area near my departure gate, when I heard someone playing the piano. Nearby. I looked around, and almost hidden by the window behind rows of waiting area seats, was a nice little upright piano.


Possibly the best idea I've ever seen in an airport terminal! (Though Amsterdam's mini-art museum display is a nice concept too.)


On the flight, I watched a French movie that was billed as a comedy – and mostly it was fairly light-hearted... aside from the fact that the little girl's best friend died at the end. Maybe that counts as a comedy in France?


Then, on the other end of the spectrum:

U.S. border control guy: "What was the purpose of your visit?"

Me: "Just visiting." (then, realizing the misunderstanding) "Uh, I live in Germany, I'm visiting the U.S."

"Germany? Why Germany?"

"...It's nice."

(shrugs) "I've been there."

No comments:

Post a Comment