Friday, June 22, 2012

Read Those (Foul-Mouthed) Lips

Heh. Heh heh heh.

Well, it's the evening of the Germany-Greece quarter-final Euro Cup game and once again, due to the increasingly weird work hours I keep, the rest of Germany is watching the game but I'm working.

Sometimes I vaguely keep track of the games by occasionally checking the official website's live feed to confirm what I already know based on when and where fireworks go off in the street. (One evening last week, with two games were going on at the same time, I quickly realized that hearing shouting and firecrackers from every direction meant Germany had scored in their game, while more localized cheering from one group of fans down the street meant Portugal had scored in their own game.)

This time, though, I've accidentally gone one better, and am working from a table in a café that's showing the game. (I actually thought they weren't showing it, but I was already sitting here when they pulled down the big projection screen next to my head, so I just stayed.)

A few minutes into the current game, Germany narrowly missed getting a goal, and I looked up at the screen to see one of the players clearly mouthing, uh, let's say a rather bad word.

That reminded me of a fun article Spiegel Online International (that's their English section) recently ran about a Deaf woman who reads the lips of the players and coaches on the field – the stuff the rest of us can't hear, because it's drowned out by all the cheering in the stadium – and posts what she sees on Twitter, here. (She posts in German, but says she'll offer an English translation after the game.)

Apparently, the German team has gotten wise to her, and coach Joachim Löw now covers his mouth when he yells at his players!

No comments:

Post a Comment