Monday, June 18, 2012

From the Grand Canyon to the Great Wall

Folks, it's official: I'm being published! In a book!

The book in question is called "From the Grand Canyon to the Great Wall" (you can follow that link to see the promotional page) and it's a collection of travel writing, put together by an American guy who decided he liked hearing people's travel stories so much, he wanted to make a book out of them. It looks like this:


What I can't tell you, unfortunately, is much about the book as a whole, since I haven't yet had the chance to read any of the stories but my own... All I know is that it's got 67 stories from 54 authors and apparently covers a broad range of countries and subjects and styles.

What I can tell you is about my story: It's about traveling with my parents, the first time they visited me in Europe after I moved here, to the Netherlands – where my dad had lived for a while when he was a hippie 20-something wandering the world, but he hadn't been back there in nearly 30 years. He actually managed to track down some of his old friends from those days, and we visited them where they still live just outside the tiny Dutch village where they all had a group house back in the day.

I'd wanted for a long time to write something tying together my dad's travel experiences and my own, and the way growing up hearing his travel stories fed my own wanderlust, so this book's submission deadline served as the kick-in-the-pants I needed to finally do so.

It's just one story in one book, but I'm still rather pleased.

If you'd like to order the book (either physical or e-book), it goes on sale tomorrow! (And I think it's not too late today to sign up for the mailing list and get 10% off.) Just go to the book's webpage. Or if you just want to be happy for me in a non-monetary way, I'm fine with that too!

Bonus picture of the subjects of my story – my dad and two of his friends he reunited with in the Netherlands:


No comments:

Post a Comment