Wednesday, June 13, 2012

EM Oyoyoy


Oy oy oy.

It's one of those evenings when almost the entire country is out at bars and restaurants watching a European Cup game (this one is Germany against the Netherlands! it's a big deal!) but I'm at home, finishing up some work.

And I'm not kidding, I can tell when Germany scores a goal because that's when firecrackers go off in the streets.

When I heard a second round of firecrackers, I went and checked one of those live blog thingies where they update whenever something happens in the game, and sure enough, the score is now 2-0 for Germany at halftime.

I'm almost tempted to take my work and my laptop out to some bar where I could watch the second half of the game together with some hopefully-not-too-crazy German fans... But then I'd have to fight my way back home through the fireworks.


(Why this is titled "EM": short for Europameisterschaft in German, so that's how I tend to think of it even in English.)

(Also, I just looked it up and apparently I'm wrong to even call this the European Cup in English, because the European Cup is what they get when they win the Champions League, which is also a European competition, but of the usual city clubs rather than the national teams, while this particular competition is properly called the European Championship... Like I said, European men are playing soccer, again.)

No comments:

Post a Comment