Sunday, April 1, 2018

The Great Northern Scotland Adventure Begins

I'm on a train! (Well, I will be shortly – I'm waiting in the station.)

Today I travel all the way up to the very northern tip Scotland, then continue tomorrow by sea: to reach the Orkney Islands, where I'll be doing my professional fieldwork placement the whole month of April. A fascinating, beautiful place and an excellent public library. I am very, very lucky.

I'm already pondering plans to visit Shetland as well (another group of islands even further north from mainland Scotland), thinking that maybe I could go up there for a couple days after my placement finishes (that is, if I manage to free up a bit of time by also completing all my coursework ahead of schedule, ha ha right) and then complete the loop by returning by ferry, allll the way back down from Shetland to Aberdeen, a 12-hour trip by sea. Up by train and back down by ship. That certainly appeals to my romantic wanderlust...

Watch this space. Orkney ahoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment