Friday, March 2, 2018

Edinburgh EDGE

This conference – the EDGE Conference hosted by Edinburgh City Libraries, to be specific – has been unforgettable.

For the past two days, I’ve been hearing speakers from around the world (Scotland, England, New Zealand, Netherlands, Canada, US, Belgium…) talk about ways libraries can help people combat the inequalities of poverty and the social exclusion of homelessness. It's inspiring, thought-provoking and I'm so, so grateful to have been offered a student spot to come here. Another one of those opportunities I can't believe there weren't dozens (or hundreds?) of people fighting me for!

I also got to meet so many inspiring professionals in this, my newly chosen field. I met the woman who's going to be my supervisor when I do my professional fieldwork placement in Orkney. I chatted a bunch with the head of Scotland's national librarians' organization (CILIPS, the equivalent of the ALA in the US). Had a fascinating conversation with the head of library services in the Western Isles (Outer Hebrides). Got all kinds of great ideas from conversations with a professor of library science from the Netherlands.

My mind is swimming with it and surely has a lot still to process, but I can't believe how many wonderful things I've gotten to see and do in just two days.

And, at dinner last night – since this is, after all, Edinburgh – the tables were themed for various Harry Potter characters. Truly, what's not to love?







No comments:

Post a Comment