Thursday, July 12, 2012

New Yorker Finds New Yorker

As I was walking past the Wasserturm this evening, on my way from one part of Prenzlauer Berg to another, a middle-aged woman with an unmistakably New York Jewish accent stopped me and asked, Do you know where the synagogue is?

It happens I knew exactly which synagogue she meant, since we were about half a block from it, so I pointed it out through the trees and the construction site that was obstructing the view.

She'd asked in English, without even any sorry-but-do-you-speak-English type preamble, so I thought it was rather good luck for her that the person she asked just happened to be American as well.

Then I had to smirk and think, Well, what's the chance of one New York Jew running across another New York Jew in this expat-y part of Berlin? Oh yeah: Really high!

No comments:

Post a Comment