Thursday, January 26, 2012

Departure

Um. Oh well. I was going to post a few pictures from the last week of the trip, but as usual, it's ended up not working. So it goes. I might come back later, if I get bored between now and when I leave for the airport at midnight, but probably you'll just have to wait.

It's been the relaxing day I wanted - getting things in order, having mini almost-conversations in French with Marie, the friend of Kap's I'm staying with (long story, involving the actual room elsewhere not being available, but it all worked out). Getting a last pastry at the really good bakery in Ngor. Taking my last opportunity to be in the sun on the beach, while being assiduously wooed by a middle-aged Cape Verdean, who nonetheless was gentleman enough to let me go in the end (despite his protestations) and not follow me all the way back to the house, the way sellers and hustlers are apt to do. It was actually nice, being able to have a conversation with someone in English.

Now, I think I'll go get a last café touba (sweet black coffee spiced with black pepper, possibly my favorite discovery here!) and watch the sunset from the beach, here on the westernmost tip of mainland Africa.

When you next hear from me, I'll have behind me a four-hour flight, a day in Portugal (hoping to wander further afield from Lisbon this time, since I have a longer layover), another four-hour flight, a night in Hamburg, and a train home to Berlin!

No comments:

Post a Comment