Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving in Berlin

This is how small Berlin can be sometimes:

Today, when I called the editor I regularly freelance for, he asked if I was doing anything for Thanksgiving. Not until the weekend, I said. (Two friends of mine, one American and one German, got fired up about the idea of co-hosting, but of course in a country where the holiday you're celebrating isn't a public holiday, Thursday isn't a particularly convenient day to cook all day.)

What about you? I asked. Oh, just going to a restaurant in Neukölln, he said. (One of Berlin's many urban districts.)

A restaurant in Neukölln? I asked. That wouldn't be Feast, would it?

But of course it was. It's a catering company and private dining room run by an American woman who's a fabulous cook; she hosts various events, but is especially known for her Thanksgiving extravaganza, and the same friend I'm going to for Thanksgiving this weekend had originally thought about going there instead.

It's not even much of a coincidence, really. The friend and the editor and I all move in vaguely the same crowd of journalist-ish expats, and probably all first heard about Feast from the same person. But there's something nice about knowing these webs of interconnections can grow even within a city.

Happy Thanksgiving, all you Americans abroad, and not abroad!

No comments:

Post a Comment