Sunday, November 27, 2011

Enter the Trombone Choir

An American friend of mine recently mentioned something about her choir, and I assumed singing, but when I asked her about it, it turns out she plays in a trombone choir.

Now, I just looked up "trombone choir" (which is not only trombones, but apparently more like a brass band with a trombone focus) and it turns out they exist in the U.S. too. But they're really big in Germany. And, for whatever reason, they're strongly associated with churches, specifically Protestant churches.

So my American friend, who says she was thrilled to get to Germany and find so many kindred spirits after years of being the only trombonist around, spends many of her Sundays playing at different Protestant services around Berlin (she's not even religious herself) and then hanging out and drinking mulled wine with the congregations afterward.

"I think of you as such a Germanophile," she said to me. "I can't believe you didn't know about this!"

No comments:

Post a Comment