Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Smyril Line Ferry, Part II

Leaving the Faroe Islands, the wind up front on the deck was fabulous, and little kids weren't the only ones delighting in doing this:


We glided past more islands than I thought the Faroes even had, all of them steep, dramatic and shrouded in fog.


And then, the open sea!


Once we were on open waters of course, the ship's pitching and my motion sickness set in. But this time, I was prepared. I knew just to lie down, not to make any fancy plans to check out the swimming pool in the ship's basement, or eat an actual meal in an actual restaurant.

And then, just as we were boarding, I met this cool group of young Belgian travelers, who were friendly and chatty and invited me to come to the swimming pool with them.

I did manage to make it down to the pool, which was a hilarious sight, all the water sloshing up and over the sides as the ship rocked, to the delight of all the kids present.

But after that, I crept back to my bunk, nauseous, and did in fact spend the rest of the trip lying down. So much for making cool Belgian friends.

The good thing, though? I ran into the same Belgians days later on the street in Reykjavík, after they'd been somewhere in the interior of the country, and I'd been hiking by the glaciers in the south. In other words, Iceland really is a small country!

No comments:

Post a Comment