Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Europe, How I Haven't Known Thee

Speaking of East and West...

Now that I'm moving away from Europe after 8+ years (um...I have mentioned that, right?) I thought it would be fun to make myself a map, a visual representation of where in Europe I have and haven't been. I've certainly traveled a lot in my time here, but I know there are also a lot of places I haven't been (and still want to go!)

But it wasn't until I sat down and colored in this map that I realized, wow. Look at that stark divide. I knew there was a lot of Eastern Europe I hadn't been to, but sheesh, the difference is more pronounced than I realized. In Eastern Europe, I've been to Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia and Croatia, which sounds like a lot, until you see this map:


Look at that dividing line, cutting straight through Eastern Europe! Okay, big trip to not-yet-visited countries coming up in my future sometime, hopefully.

For anyone who cares (which is presumably...just me?), here's where I have and haven't been in Europe:

HAVE BEEN: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark (including/plus the Faroe Islands), Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, the United Kingdom (including all parts: England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales). That's 29. (Counting only sovereign states, not counting as separate the autonomous countries within other countries, like the Faroe Islands.)

HAVEN'T BEEN: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Estonia, (Kazakhstan), Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Ukraine, Vatican City. That's 21, though that includes numerous micro-states that most people never visit, as well as some countries that are mostly Asia, not Europe. Taking out those, I guess it would be only 15 or 16. (Depending on whether you count Russia!)

No comments:

Post a Comment