Friday, October 10, 2014

Georgian Modern Dance!

Lisa's neighbors, who I now firmly believe to be the fount of all things wise and wonderful (they also managed to charge Lisa's cell phone, when neither of her own chargers worked!), told us about a Georgian dance performance. Lisa really wanted to go, so I picked up tickets while she was at work. (And because this is Georgia, we ended up with third-row seats for a stunningly reasonable price.)

The performance was AMAZING. Modern dance, but with unmistakeable traditional Georgian elements worked in (like those big, dramatic jumping moves the men do). Endless gorgeous costume changes, music that fused traditional instruments with modern sounds. Oh, and a digeridoo. The whole effect was fantastic. I can't do it justice in words (and of course I didn't take pictures during the show), so instead here's a picture of Lisa and me inside the beautiful Rustaveli Theatre:


I'm out in rural eastern Georgia with very, very limited internet access (I finally found this one café with wifi and fell upon it eagerly, to catch up on a few things), so I have lots more pictures to share, but they'll have to wait until I'm back in Tbilisi.

No comments:

Post a Comment