Thursday, October 2, 2014

Acquaintances

In this city where I've only even met a few people so far, I keep running into acquaintances. Yesterday, it was Lisa's neighbor – she teaches German at the Goethe Institute, and I was there to return some teaching materials Lisa had borrowed from the Goethe Institute library, so not such a surprise. Just now, though, I ran into a friend of Lisa's, another teacher, when we simply passed each other on the street.

I like that. I liked it in Reykjavík, too, that it was a city small enough that I'd walk into a café and see somebody I knew (even though I only knew a few people). I love Berlin and will always love Berlin, but I'm definitely feeling ready to live in a small city or a college town again, in a country where people out and about in public actually talk to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment