Monday, July 22, 2013

Kindercafés and Squirrels

Oh, gosh: I'm back at the café a block from my sublet in Ithaca, doing some work on my laptop, and a woman at the next table over is telling a friend this idea she has for a café where you could bring babies and kids, and there would be a corner with toys and things, and the kids could play and the parents could get a chance to have an actual conversation with another adult while the kids are occupied.

...Seriously, does this not exist here?? This is the business model for half the cafés I know in Berlin, everything from regular cafés that also have a small play corner, to dedicated "parent-child cafés" with ball pits and balloons and play equipment and events and even daycare offered during certain hours.

If no one has thought to do this yet in the US, then I suggest someone does, because they could make a killing.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Unrelatedly – but delightfully – the other day I was walking through the neighborhood to my parents' house and passed three people chatting on the sidewalk. Just as I went by, one guy was telling the other two, "I was driving to work and a crow flew over my car... It had a baby squirrel in its mouth and it dropped it on my windshield."

Yes...he was driving to work, when a crow dropped a baby squirrel on his windshield.

I didn't want to hang around the corner too long and too obviously eavesdropping, but I stayed long enough to hear that the squirrel survived the fall, apparently, and the man was on his way to work, but called in some woman he knew of who specializes in wildlife rehabilitation, to see to the squirrel.

!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Come to think of it, those two stories actually are linked, through the common theme of me eavesdropping on other people's conversations. Oops. Time to get back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment