Friday, July 26, 2013

Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell at Grassroots


Emmylou Harris!


Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell right here at Grassroots, my hometown music festival.

!


I was this close to the stage:


And this close to them:


And right in front of the pedal steel player, unavoidably exchanging the occasional smile as he played, since after all I was right in front of him:


(And I swear there was a point, too, where Emmylou was looking right at me and I just couldn't help starting to smile, and she started to smile too.)

After the show, the mid-40s-ish guy next to me – we were both hanging around, hoping to snag a setlist from the show – told me, about Emmylou, "She's usually happy to chat... You can go on the bus..." Then he shook his head and said in a tone of wonder, "Last time, my wife let me go on the bus."

So I was hoping I'd be able to find her and maybe even ask her to sign a CD, but the backstage area was confusing and performer-wristband-only access, and then the sky opened up and sent an absolutely drenching deluge down, so there was no way anyone was going to be standing outside chatting and signing autographs.

But I got this!

(I also took a video of one particularly lovely duet, but can't get it to post to this blog. Technology fail... as in, I fail at technology and at being of my own generation.)

No comments:

Post a Comment