Monday, December 31, 2012

I Believe in Sherlock, in Berlin

The fan-created "I Believe in Sherlock Holmes" campaign will mean less to you, of course, if you haven't actually watched the BBC Sherlock show. (And if you haven't yet watched it, why not?)

Not sure how to summarize the whole "I Believe in Sherlock" thing, especially without giving away the plot, but let's just say that within the show, the character comes under attack from someone trying to destroy his reputation, and then in real life fans have taken up this idea and run with it, creating posters and graffiti declaring their belief that Sherlock was not a fraud. (You can find a good description of this trend here or here.)

So, seeing as I'm a huge fan of BBC Sherlock, try to imagine my shock and delight when I passed by my friendly neighborhood statue of Communist leader Ernst Thälmann and saw this:


There's even the word "BORED" written on the side, in yellow paint, with that smiley... Well, like I said, this just won't be quite as exciting for you if you haven't seen the show.


And speaking of how fantastic BBC Sherlock is, how smart and funny and well-made, and so true to the original Conan Doyle stories despite being a thoroughly modern retelling... Well, as some fans have put it so well (again, it's an in-joke if you've seen the show) – "Watch at once if convenient. If inconvenient, watch anyway."

No comments:

Post a Comment