Wednesday, September 19, 2012

(On the Way to) California: Heathrow


My flight to San Francisco was through London, and I was surprised how much I found myself wishing I could stay on and have a little time in England. I've totally become an Anglophile without meaning to. When did that happen?

I'd only been in the country about 10 minutes before I witnessed a traveler commit that legendary Greatest of All British Offenses: queue-jumping. (That's "cutting in line" to the Americans.)

Supposedly this is one of the very few ways you can actually rile the famously mild-mannered British, and indeed, the airport employee who called back the offender (a man trying to jump ahead in the line to go through security) with a sharp "Sir, there's a queue here!" seemed truly angry about it. Heh. Another stereotype confirmed.

I wandered around the airport, stupidly pleased by all the British shops selling British things (I was sleep-deprived, okay, I'm allowed to be happy about dumb, small things...) Britain is just awfully nice.

Good thing the next English countryside hiking trip is already in the works for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment