Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Japan – One Year After the Catastrophe

I don't post samples of my professional work here very often, because it's essentially a lot of the same (texts that were German and now are English, mostly in journalism), but this is interesting and a little bit different:

To mark one year since the tsunami and disaster at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, Spiegel Online produced a series of video shorts featuring different individuals from the area and how their lives have changed.

The videos were originally in German, and I translated the subtitling and the narrator's voiceover for the English version. Which was interesting work – and as always a bit strange to be writing about something I myself couldn't see (which happens often when translating), since I didn't have access to the video while doing the translations for it.

I was moved just by the text on paper, and of course it's more moving when you can see the actual people involved, so here's the link if you want to have a look:

"Japan – One Year After the Catastrophe" on Spiegel Online International.

No comments:

Post a Comment