Friday, March 16, 2012

Berlin, Drowning in Bubble Tea

Okay, I don't think I'm imagining this: Everywhere, literally everywhere I go in Berlin, there are suddenly places selling bubble tea. Upscale, fancy-shmancy Prenzlauer Berg cafés are selling bubble tea. Sketchy, cheap-o places on main drags are selling bubble tea. What is going on?

And more specifically...is Europe only discovering bubble tea now? I remember that being a Thing when I was in college (so, at least six or seven years ago) and of course it's been around in Asia much longer.

As with swing dancing (a retro craze that seems to be just now really catching on in Europe, over a decade late), it tickles me to see Europe - which is so often so far ahead of us on, well, almost everything - be occasionally so clueless on the trends. And I mean that with love for both continents in question.

- - - - -

The first real spring-like day, thin jacket and no scarf, glorious sun. True to form, the instant there's even a ray of sunshine, everybody's sitting at tables outside cafés.

I even saw a number of people sitting literally in the middle of a sidewalk that had been torn up for construction - the café proprietors simply worked in some tables wherever there wasn't construction, and kept on serving.

Flower shops are doing brisk business in all the accoutrements of balcony gardening. I came home today with a lavender plant in one hand and a 20-liter bag of potting soil in the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment