Thursday, July 21, 2011

This Strange Fascination with the North Atlantic

All of a sudden, my next trip already starts tomorrow.

I know, I know, I already traveled a lot, and lately I'm traveling so much it's nearly getting silly – 3 weeks in the U.S., 4 weeks back, 2 weeks away, 4 weeks back, then I'll be off yet again... But it's all part of a sort of experiment in seeing how much I can travel, and do some of my work remotely while I do, without the constant coming and going starting to make me crazy.

It's definitely been a little bit nuts lately, with so many trips to plan at once. But it's also awesome, so I'm not complaining.

So where am I going this time? Guess!

(Photo of Eyjafjallajökull eruption, April 17, 2010, from Wikimedia Commons)


Yes, Iceland! And the Faroe Islands! Which lie sort of between Norway and Iceland and Scotland, and are semi-autonomous but technically part of Denmark, and it's okay if you didn't know that, because hardly anyone does!

It seems I've always had a strange fascination with the far northern Atlantic. My first year in Germany, when all the other Fulbrighters went to warm places like Turkey or Morocco during fall break, I went to...northern Germany and Denmark. I can't even quite explain it myself. But I do like a good storm-tossed sea...

So I've always wanted to explore some of the North Atlantic (think of places like Iceland, Greenland or Norway's tantalizingly far north archipelago, Svalbard). Even better, do it by ship. Stop at a couple different places on the way.

So...

Tomorrow morning, I set off early for a long day of train connections, to get to the far north of Denmark by nighttime. The ferry (!) sails the next day.

After a day and a night at sea, it stops at the Faroe Islands.

(Sorvagur, Faroe Islands, Wikimedia Commons)


I can't tell you how excited I am about the Faroes. I love discovering small, out of the way countries (or not-quite-countries, as the case may be). The islands sound stunningly beautiful. I even found someone to stay with through Couchsurfing, AND she's a singer-songwriter, which is another one of my favorite things.

This is by far the best tidbit I've read so far in my Faroes research, from the Wikitravel "Stay Safe" section on the islands:

"Generally: The Faroe Islands are very safe.
No risk of natural disaster or animal attack.
Crime and traffic are minor risks.
As you drive along, please be aware that the sheep may be startled and leap out in front of you. If you happen to collide with a sheep, you should immediately contact the police in Tórshavn at telephone number 351448 for assistance."

Then on to Iceland!

(Thórsmörk, the destination I'm possibly most excited about, also from Wikimedia Commons)

In lieu of having time to actually write something about Iceland, here's Lonely Planet's description of the country's most famously disgusting food:

"...Hákarl, putrefied shark meat which has been buried in sand and gravel for three to six months to ensure sufficient decomposition. It can be left anywhere, because even carrion birds won't touch it."

Ha. I won't be sampling that particular delicacy.

Incidentally, Iceland is the furthest north I'll ever have been! One little island off the north coast actually sits on the Arctic Circle... but I, regretfully, decided that it didn't make sense to spend a lot of time and money getting there just to step across a line, turn around and head back. Arctic Circle, someday. This time around, I'll spend my time with the dramatic glaciers and volcanoes of the southern coast, and hip, quirky Reykjavík, the capital.

Oh, and hot springs. Lots and lots of geothermal hot springs.

No comments:

Post a Comment