Monday, July 11, 2011

Es Endet Alles

Posters for the final Harry Potter movie have gone up around Berlin – and when I say posters, I mean ones that cover entire multi-story apartment blocks!


I was getting a little snarky about the poster slogan, "Es Endet Alles" (literally "everything ends"), which to me seemed not quite to have the dramatic ring you want in the final installment of an epic series. I take it almost less as "the dramatic conclusion is here!" and more as "oh, it's over." But that's probably just my non-native ears, because I checked with one of my students, and she thought it sounded okay, if not super exciting.

Anyway, I just checked, and that is in fact a literal translation of the slogan on the English-language posters: "It All Ends."

But even better! Check out this page of movie posters that includes ones from a few different countries. Todo Termina!

Yes, because I'm a Harry Potter nerd. I don't even watch the movies (I'm a book purist when it comes to stories I really like), but this end of an era is still kind of exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment