Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Dos and Don'ts

A last note about England (actually about England preparations) that didn't make it in before I left for the trip...

Sometimes, when I'm just going on a short trip that doesn't quite seem to merit buying an entire new travel guide, I'll take out a few guidebooks from the library instead, for reference before I go. (The only problem with this strategy is that the guidebooks you get in German libraries are old, yawn-inducing ones meant for middle-aged Germans traveling by car. Probably why I've gradually switched my pre-travel research over to Wikitravel, which I have only good things to say about!)

In any case, I did get out a few England books from the library. In the end, I barely opened them (see above re: yawn-inducing and meant for middle-aged car travelers), but inside the back cover of one, I found an interesting section of England Dos and Don'ts directed specifically at German travelers.

There were predictable headings such as "Don't cut in line" (very import not to disturb the English in this favorite pastime, standing in line!) and "Don't forget to say 'excuse me'" ("Just saying 'hello' or 'mister' is absolutely frowned upon").

The last item was "Don't be sensitive" and I'll translate that paragraph in its entirety. (This is from a German-language Marco Polo guide to England.)

"The English like to make their jokes about the Germans and World War II. Especially when Germany plays England in soccer, the tabloids are full of ribald comparisons. Most of it isn't really meant seriously and the best thing to do is to ignore it. A small consolation: They make even more comments about the French."

No comments:

Post a Comment