Tuesday, October 5, 2010

In Honor of Reunification

Biking through Pankow (a northeastern part of Berlin, where I used to live), saw this display at one of those stores that sells novelty t-shirts - in this case, mostly East-German-nostalgia-themed t-shirts - and it made me laugh, so I thought I'd share.

That one that looks like Russian? It's actually just German written in Cyrillic letters, and it says "Wenn du das lesen kannst, bist du kein Wessi!" - "If you can read this, you're not a 'Wessi'," ie from West Germany, where people were not obligated to learn Russian in school (East Germans were).

It made me laugh all the more because, in fact, I could read it - and you probably can't get much further "Wessi" than being American.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder of the "new" site. I love reading your blog. I feel bad that I don't comment more often. I want you to know that people are reading and enjoying!

    Reading about fall in Berlin is making me nostalgic for the trip I took to visit you so long ago. A friend and I are actually headed on a European adventure in early November. We decided to do a train trip through France and Spain, so I won't be around, but if you have a desire to come to Paris and meet up with us. Let me know :)

    I miss you, and I'm glad to hear that you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! (this is Anna, I'm just signed in under my wordpress bog name)

    Haha, reading other countries inside jokes is funny! (and revealing) Most "Wessi's" aren't as educated in the language department as you, you know! What's the one with the tanks pointing at each other say?


    PS, I've been selling a few vegetables to a Laotian store and Keo, a Lao lady who is involved in the farm, is teaching me a few words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shawn: Hey, it's cool to hear from you! Thanks for still reading, and for dropping in to say that you're reading. I don't know how readily you'll end up seeing this comment, so I'll write you a brief e-mail too in a sec (about coming to Europe! yay!)

    Anna: Hm, the one with the tanks basically says "Until one of them cries" - as in, until one side backs down. Lovely sentiment, huh?

    ReplyDelete