Monday, October 25, 2010

Dumplings for Birds

This year I bought fat balls for the first time, in the hope of tempting interesting birds to come hang around in front of the window where I work at the computer all day.

What I'm talking about is those balls of bird feed you can hang up outside; I didn't even know until now that they were called fat balls - having just heard of them recently from a British friend - and I still have a sneaking suspicion they're possibly only called that if you're a speaker of British English. Jury is still out on what we Americans would call them. Suet cakes??

In German, they're "Meisenknödel," from "Meise" for titmouse (the type of bird) and "Knödel" literally meaning dumpling. Dumplings for titmice!

So far, only one feathered visitor, but hopefully he'll tell his friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment