Sunday, October 22, 2017

Library Dork

Oh, goodness, I am really such a dork.

My master's program is already having us submit preferences for the fieldwork placement we do in April, so I'm doing background research by looking up lots of interesting public libraries. (Anyone who knows me will probably not be surprised to hear that my definition of "interesting" tends towards obscure locations, remote/dramatic/stormy-northern-Atlantic islands, and communities that speak dialects or minority languages.)

Anyway, so I spent an afternoon getting misty-eyed over charming little videos shot by various local libraries to promote their services. Videos showing all the many ways kids and adults use their library in Gaelic-speaking County Donegal, Ireland, for example, or the vital services provided by the mobile libraries that drive around to small communities and housebound individuals in the remotest parts of the Outer Hebrides in Scotland.

Libraries! Communities! Books! Languages! So many things I love! I want to go to all these places...

Meanwhile, though, I'll leave you with the delight that is Orkney Library's Twitter. They have a Twitter feud with Shetland Library (Shetland is also a remote Scottish archipelago, but even more remote than Orkney). They got J. K. Rowling to show up to their book club. They create puns entirely out of book covers. Oh, and just incidentally they provide award-winning service to a part of Scotland that seems like it should be the far-flung edge of the world.

Orkney Library is my new crush.

No comments:

Post a Comment