Sunday, July 27, 2014

In Which Iceland Is Literally a Village

I arrived here in Borgarfjörður eystri, a truly tiny village (population about 100, though the numbers cited vary) tucked away inside a fjord accessible only by a steep, winding road around a mountain, literally the very furthest point you can drive from Reykjavík... and ran into someone I know.

Yes, in this country where there are only five people total that I can count as "friends" by even the most generous definition of the word (two Couchsurfing acquaintances from three years ago plus three festival acquaintances from earlier this month) – I walked into the town's only bar and saw someone I know!

(I suppose it shouldn't really have come as a surprise, since I came here for a wonderful music festival called Bræðslan, which was recommended to me by this friend I made at the Rauðasandur Festival, so it really could have occurred to me that if he likes this festival enough to recommend it, he'd likely be coming too. Still, though.)

So: I came here expecting to spend another string of solitary days mostly at the fringes of things, and instead on my very first evening I ended up being one of the last five people who stayed up talking and playing a silly card game, and closing down the bar/restaurant/concert venue at 5 a.m. (Bars in Iceland are supposed to close at 1 a.m., so as these guys pointed out to me, it helps to know the owners!)

Life is good in Borgarfjörður eystri.

No comments:

Post a Comment