Sunday, June 16, 2013

My Spießig Balcony

Okay, I hereby renounce any claim to not being "spießig" (roughly "square" or "bourgeois," but in a specific German way that I recently described here).

Why? Because this week I went out and bought hedge-type plants specifically for the purpose of creating a visual barrier between my balcony and the next one over. Seems fair enough, really, to want my balcony to be an extension of my apartment in the sense that it's a place where I can be alone and not have to make conversation with anyone unless I want to...but as a (German) friend of a friend helpfully commented, "I thought only spießig Germans did that." Well!

The balconies, before:


The hedges arrive home! By bike, of course.


The balconies, after. Yay! Now neighbors on both sides have privacy and nice plants to look at. Win-win.

No comments:

Post a Comment