Wednesday, October 31, 2012

This Is Halloween


Awwww, see, this is why I'm working from a café this evening, rather than from home. (Well, aside from the fact that being inside my apartment day in and day out was starting to make me nuts...sometimes freelancing truly isn't all it's cracked up to be.)

Anyway, I'm working at the little Brazilian café just down the street, and all the cute, tiny kids are coming by in their costumes to say "Süßes oder Saures!" (German for trick-or-treat, literally "sweet or sour" – as in, give me something sweet or I'll do something sour to you!)

That was the brilliant idea I had the other night, inspired while working at another neighborhood café:

This year, rather than hiding in my apartment with the lights off because of course I've forgotten yet again to buy candy (not a proper adult yet, really) and here there's no equivalent concept to porch-light-on-means-you-can-ring-the-bell and porch-light-off-means-I'm-not-home-or-out-of-candy, I could park myself in a public place (café) and enjoy seeing all the kids trick-or-treating, without any associated guilt. Score!

Update: Ha ha, and the further benefit of trick-or-treating at a café seems to be that while the kids are getting their candy, the parents can pick up a coffee to keep them going through the night.


Here, have a gratuitous nostalgic Americana picture of farm stand pumpkins, from my recent trip to California:





No comments:

Post a Comment