Saturday, October 29, 2011

Worst Name for a Pizza Place Ever

There is a pizza place in a neighborhood near me called "Pizza Pimps." Every single time I go by there, I think: What a terrible name for a food-selling establishment.

Then, just recently I was walking past the place with a couple German friends and said to them too what a terrible name it is – and they looked at me blankly and asked why.

That's when it finally, finally occurred to me that Germans only know the word "pimp" in the more recent verb sense, meaning "to make something fancier than it already is." You know, like "pimp my ride."

So I explained that the word is actually in far more common usage in its noun form: meaning a man who controls and sells the services of prostitutes, "Zuhälter" in German.

My friends were suitably shocked, and agreed this is a terrible name for a pizza place.

No comments:

Post a Comment