Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Those British

I think I might be becoming an anglophile despite myself, because the British just keep offering up such wonderful ridiculousness to the world. It's not only absurd delights like swan upping (which sounds like a silly hoax, but I've checked with Brits and it exists!) or the Ravens of the Tower of London ("six required, with a seventh in reserve").

Today, I translated a short article about the upcoming wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton, which meant I got to spend some time poking around online and learning delightfully ridiculous things.

Did you know the couple had approved official memorabilia china and tea towels, among other items, as the merchandise to their wedding? Or various other fun details, like that 1900 people are invited to the morning ceremony (but only 300 to the "private" dinner that night) or that the bride and groom are actually 15th cousins, because of some long-ago Sir and the fact that the British actually keep track of such things?

One of the favorite things I read, though, was a Guardian article about William's tour of Australia and New Zealand last year (they made him pose with a not-so-thrilled kiwi bird). It was his first official overseas tour and apparently the first time he gave a speech representing the queen. I loved this paragraph:

"Beadily watching him make his first, assured and competent speech, from the second row in the public seats, was none other than Christopher Geidt, the Queen's private secretary. 'I am just here on holiday and it was suggested I might like to look in,' Geidt said, somewhat unconvincingly."

Keep 'em coming, Britain!

2 comments:

  1. Ah, the British! And now I've learned that the ravens are enlisted as soldiers, and can be dismissed for "conduct unbecoming Tower residents."

    ReplyDelete